Anambra Gubernatorial election is 3 days away from now. On Sunday November 12th, a debate was organized between these contenders by Channels TV, where each of them barred their minds on various issues and how they plan to resolve them should they be elected into office come November 18th. The debate focused mainly on industrialization, education, security, internal revenue and general economic prosperity for the citizens. We do hope that some voters who are yet to decide have done so.
The top contenders are:
- Tony Nwoye of All Progressives Congress (APC)
- Willie Obiano of All Progressives Grand Alliance (APGA)
- Oseloka Obaze of Peoples Democratic Party (PDP)
- Godwin Ezeemo of Progressives peoples’ Alliance (PPA), and
- Osita Chidoka of United Progressive Party (UPP)
Over 2 million voters have registered and are gradually warming up to vote come November 18th. During the debates, the candidates were seen explaining their plans.
Meanwhile, here are few things they said during the debate:
- Anambra is the number one state in bribery and corruption – Osita Chidoka
- In three years, I grew the Anambra economy by 1 trillion- Willie Obiano
- I came, I saw, I conquered insecurity. I have provided dividends from security. About 1 billion naira is brought home by Ndi Anambra monthly- Willie Obiano
- If other states in Nigeria were to be like Anambra, there wouldn’t be recession- Willie Obiano.
- We need portable and accessible roads in Anambra- Tony Nwoye
- We don’t need airport in Anambra- Oseloka Obaze
- APC has denied the South East their national cake- Ezeemo of PPA
- Anambra State Government is not putting one kobo in the airport project- Willie Obiano
Here are the profiles of these top 5 contenders:
- Tony Nwoye (APC)
- Born August 13th, 1974 in Anambra
- Age: 41
- Education: MBBS, University of Nigeria Nsukka, and Ebonyi State University, Abakaliki
- Career: Politics – student Unionism (NANS President), PDP Chairman, Anambra State, PDP Governorship candidate (2013), CEO Vintage Consolidated LTD, a construction, building and engineering firm.
- Willie Obiano (APGA)
- Incumbent Governor
- Born August 8th, 1995 in Anambra
- Age: 62
- Education: BSC Accounting, MBA Marketing- University of Lagos
- Career: Banking (First Bank, Fidelity Bank) Oil & gas (Chevron, Texaco)
- Politics: APGA
- Oseloka Obaze (PDP)
- Born April 9th, 1955 in Anambra
- Age: 62
- Education: BSC in Political Science from Nebraska, Wesleyan University, Masters in Political Science University of Nebraska, Lincoln.
- Career: Civil Service, Diplomacy (United Nations), Author, Politician (Secretary to the State Government, Peter Obi and Obiano), APGA Governoship candidate 2013.
- Godwin Ezeemo (PPA)
- Born June 20th, 1954
- Age: 63
- Education: OND, HND in Marketing, Federal Polytechnic, LLaro
- Career: Industrialist, Publisher (Owner Orient Group), Politician (APC, PPA)
- Osita Chidoka (UPP)
- Born July 18th, 1971
- Education: BSC Management, University of Nigeria, Masters in Transport Policy and Logistics, George Masons University, United States.
- Career: Government Relations Advisor to Exxon Mobil, Corps Marshall and CEO of Nigeria’s Federal Road Safety Corps and a one-time minister of Aviation in the Federal Republic of Nigeria
Did you watch the debate? From your analysis, who do you think performed better and is more likely to win?